Skip to main content

Adelaide Fringe 2024

アデレードフリンジに来ました。大好きなオーストラリアで演劇とアートのフェスティバルがあると知ってから、ずっと来てみたかったので、念願かなって嬉しいです。
I came all the way from Japan to Adelaide Fringe 2024!

街をあげてのイベント / A festival throughout Adelaide
空港に着いたらいきなりフリンジの看板があり、街をあげてのイベントだと思いました。
アデレード中で1ヶ月間、演劇とアートを楽しめるフェスティバルということで、アデレードはウェストエンドやブロードウェイのような劇場街なのかと思っていましたが、実際はそうではなく、飲食店やホテルでも上演がされるとのことでした。私が鑑賞した作品も、劇場以外の施設で上演されていました。どこでも気軽に作品を楽しめるっていいな。
また、アデレードフリンジの参加作品は、約1時間(休憩なし)に収まっていたものが多かったです。それなので、2日で4本もの芝居とトークショーを鑑賞することができました。観客は色々な会場を行き来するのかな、と思ったので、下の一覧に上演時間も書きました。
Upon arrival at Adelaide Airport, I found a big panel for Adelaide Fringe, so I thought it was a big event by/for the city.
The festival has more than 1,300 shows throughout and around Adelaide for a month, so at first I presumed the city was full of theatres like West End or Broadway, but actually most of the shows were hosted in various kinds of venues such as restaurants and hotels. 
Also, most of the shows were short - within one hour or so without an interval. Then I was able to see four shows in just two days. I imagined audiences might enjoy several shows in a day or a limited period as I did.

鑑賞した作品 / The shows I saw
-Completely Improvised Shakespeare at Dom Polski Jeden (3/15 20:45-21:40)
-2 Englishmen and an Aussie at Gala Room in The Austral Hotel (3/16 14:30-15:15)
-LIFE ALONE at Nineteen Ten (3/16 17:05-17:50)
-Great Detectives: All New Mysteries! at The Ball Room in Ayers House (3/16 19:30-20:40)

Completely Improvised Shakespeare
シェイクスピア風の芝居を5人の役者が即興で演じる作品でした。上演の最初に、シェイクスピアが書いていそうな(でも実際には書いていない)作品のタイトルを観客に叫ばせて、そのタイトルをもとに芝居が展開されます。私が観劇した日のタイトルは"Gentlewoman's Promise"でした。シェイクスピアらしい芝居を分かっていたり、相談もなしに即興で面白い芝居をつくれたり、役者のすごさを感じました。ところどころ初期近代の英語が話されていました。まるで新たに発見されたシェイクスピアの作品を観ているかのような、不思議な気分でした。
芝居はその場限りのものとよく言われますが、今回は即興劇なのでそれが特に当てはまります。上演の最初と最後に、これまで見たこともないしこれから再び見ることもないシェイクスピア劇、今日が初日で楽日です、ということが謳われていました。一度しか観られないのは残念ですが、一度限りの"Gentlewoman's Promise"を目撃できて嬉しかったです。
It was a Shakespeare-like (but not his) play improvised by five actors from Soothplayers. At the beginning of the performance, the players made audiences shout an imaginary title of a play that Shakespeare might have written (but actually not), and they improvised a play based on the title. When I attended, the chosen title was "Gentlewoman's Promise." I was surprised at how they grasped Shakespeare (or the conventional image of Shakespeare) and how they were innovative at the same time. They sometimes spoke in early modern English. I felt as if I had seen a newly-found play written by Shakespeare.
It is often said that a performance is ephemeral, and I thought it was true especially in the case of an improvised play. One pf the players said that was the opening night and also the closing night of "Gentlewoman's Promise." I wish I could see the play again, which was unfortunately impossible, but I was glad that I witnessed the play even if only once.

2 Englishmen and an Aussie
芝居だと思って行ったら、3人のコメディアンによるトークショーでした。スコットランドの女性、オーストラリアの男性、イングランドの男性が順に話をしていました(2 Englishmenというタイトルからはずれますが)。英語圏のジョークについていくことは難しかったですが、そういった背景知識のいらない話、例えば聞き間違いによる勘違いの話は万国共通で面白いと思いました。出演者の一人がCanadianとcomedianを聞き間違えて相手と話が噛み合わなかったというネタが面白かったです。
芝居の話し方とは異なり、早口の話し言葉でした。それなので前のめりになって一生懸命聞いていたら、出演者の一人に、動物園で珍種を見るような目で私を見ているねと声をかけられました。このような、出演者と聴衆の間の交流も楽しいと思いました。
I thought it was a play but actually it was a comedy showcase by three comedians. Despite the title, the speakers were a Scottish woman, an Aussie man, and an English man. It was a little hard for me to catch Anglophone jokes, but I enjoyed  other episodes in which there was no need for such knowledge. For example, an episode of misunderstandings between "Canadian" and "comedian" was funny.
Unlike actors in a play, the comedians spoke fast, so I tried to listen to them carefully, probably with a serious look. Then one of the comedians told me that I gazed at her as if she had been a rare animal at a zoo. I liked such an interaction between those on stage and audiences.

LIFE ALONE
2回の離婚を経験した女性が、自身の経験を語るショーでした。講演と一人芝居の間に位置付けられるような話し方でした。タイトルとポスターがHome Aloneのパロディーだったので、その映画のようなコメディーだと思っていましたが、出演者は自身のアイデンティティー(国籍やジェンダー)についての考えを真面目に話していました。
It was a story about a woman experienced divorces twice, told by herself. Her way of speaking sounded somethin between a speech in a lecture and a soliloquy in a drama. The title and the poster were the parody of those of Home Alone, so before the show, I thought it would be a comedy just like the movie, but actually it was more serious. The speaker told how she thought about her identity, such as nationality and gender.

Great Detectives: All New Mysteries!
リーディングアクト形式のミステリーでした。役者は台本を持っていましたが、動きもあり、音響効果も場面に合っていたので、臨場感がありました。1950年代が舞台のミステリーでしたが、古い邸宅のボールルームが会場だったので、雰囲気がありました。内容と会場が合っていたところは、5年前にシドニーのGenesian Theatreで観劇した、アガサ・クリスティーのTowards Zeroを思い出させてくれるものでした(その時の感想はこちらからどうぞ)。
It was a play-reading and the actors had scripts on their hands, but still it was dramatic, due to their acting and sound effects. It was a mystery set in 1950s, and the venue was an old ball room, so the genre of the play and the atmosphere of the venue matched. That reminded me of a performance of Agatha Christie's Towards Zero, which I saw at Genesian Theatre in Sydney five years ago.





Popular posts from this blog

Much Ado About Nothing at Shakespeare's Globe

2026年8月25日、Shakespeare's Globeにて Much Ado About Nothing を観劇(2時間25分、休憩込み)。グローブ座を訪れるのは約4年振りでしたが、先週の続きくらいの感覚で観劇できました。以下、ネタバレ注意です。 最後の場面まで笑える箇所がたくさんあり、最後の場面のみ不安が残る、そんな演出でした。笑える箇所としては、ベネディックとベアトリスが騙される場面はもちろん、ベアトリスの才気煥発でドン・ペドロが振られる(?)ところや、"Kill Claudio"の台詞でも客席から笑いが出ていました。テンポが良く、楽しい上演だと全体的には思いました。 しかし最後の場面で、ヒアローは納得していないように見えました。濡れ衣が濡れ衣だったと分かったことは良かったですし、ヒアローとクローディオは確かに結ばれるのですが、めでたしめでたしという雰囲気はなく、ベアトリスとベネディックが結ばれるから「まあいいか」と手を取る、というように見えました。パンフレットの表紙には"Let the battle begin"と書かれていて、はじめはベアトリスとベネディックの「陽気なバトル」のことを指しているのだと思いましたが、もしかしたらヒアローとクローディオのぎくしゃくした感じも暗示されているのでは…と今になって思います。 Much Ado About Nothing はイギリスで人気の作品で、私も何度も観たことがありますが、このような終わり方は初めてでした。 (Caution: contains a spoiler.) On 25 August 2026, I saw and heard Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare at Shakespeare's Globe. It was hilarious until the last scene. The audience laughed a lot, especially when Benedick and Beatrice were tricked, when Don Pedro was rejected by Beatrice (it was not a serious heartbreak th...

A Midsummer Night's Dream at Shakespeare's Globe

2026年8月25日、Shakespeare's Globeにて A Midsummer Night's Dream を観劇(2時間30分、休憩込み)。 A Midsummer Night's Dream も観劇することの多い作品ですが、今回の上演でユニークだと思ったことが二つあります。それはヒポリタが妊娠中であったことと、タイテーニアのインドの子供が赤ん坊であったことです。ヒポリタとタイテーニアは同一の役者によって演じられていたので、赤ん坊を抱くタイテーニアの姿はヒポリタの少し先の未来というように見えました。オーベロンがその子を欲しがる理由(自分の小姓にしたいということ)には幼すぎる気もしましたが、役同士の繋がりを考えることが好きな私にとって興味深い演出でした。 (Caution: contains a spoiler.) On 25 August 2026, I saw and heard A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare at Shakespeare's Globe. In this production, I found two distinct points that I had never seen in other productions of A Midsummer Night's Dream . One was that Hippolyta was pregnant and the other was that Titania's changeling boy appeared on stage as a baby. Hippolyta and Titania were played by one actress, so Titania with a baby looked like Hippolyta in the near future. I always like to find a connection between characters through casting strategies, so I fond this production interesting. 昼公演と同じ構図で写真を撮ってみました。

A Midsummer Night's Dream at The Other Place

2026年8月28日、ストラットフォード・アポン・エイヴォンのThe Other Placeにて A Midsummer Night's Dream を観劇(90分、休憩なし)。ロンドンのユニコーン・シアターとの共作ということもあり、子供や若者にもアクセシブルな上演でした。ここで「アクセシブルな」と書いたのは、二つの視点からそう思ったためです。 一つは、上演時間が90分で、疲れることなく見られたという点です。それでも、大きくカットされた場面は思い当たらず、満足感を得られる上演でした。実のところ、できるなら上演台本を手に入れて他の版と照らし合わせてみないとカット箇所が分からないくらい、自然な流れでした。子供や若者の集中力を考えても、内容の深さからしても、ちょうど良い上演だと思いました。 もう一つは、登場人物の名前と発せられる台詞が映像のように映し出されていたことです。舞台セットの背景には、色が薄く平らな部分があったのですが、タイミング良く、キャラクターに似合うフォントの文字が踊るように映し出されていたので、単なる字幕というよりは演出の一部のように見えました。これは幼い観客にも伝わりやすいというだけでなく、デジタルの作品に慣れている現代の観客にやさしいものだと思ったので、年齢というよりは世代の話かもしれません。それでも役者たちは身体を駆使して演じていたので、生の演劇としての魅力も感じ取れる、面白い上演でした。 On 28 August 2026, I saw and heard A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare at The Other Place in Stratford-upon-Avon. As it was a co-production with the Unicorn Theatre, I thought it was an accessible version for children and young audiences. The word 'accessible' has many meanings, but I say so here based on two ideas below. First, it was a 90-minute-long pe...