2026年8月1日、よみうり大手町ホールにて『AGATHA』を観劇(2時間40分、休憩込み)。
アガサ・クリスティの失踪事件を題材にしたミュージカルですが、作品づくりにおける彼女の信念が見えたところが面白かったです。もちろん「彼女はどこに消えた?」「無事なのか?」「誰かの仕業か?」といった、周りの登場人物たちの言い方や歌い方は、それ自体ミステリー作品を観ているような感覚でしたが、単なる謎解きで終わらなかったところが良かったです。
アガサは(少なくとも本作品で描かれる彼女は)、事件のトリックよりも動機を大事にしています。多くの殺人事件を描きながらも、純粋な心を持つ彼女は、平凡な人が残酷な事件を起こしてしまうのはなぜかというところに興味を持ち、その人物の動機を知る(書く)ためには人間関係を観察することが重要だと言います。
私はミステリー小説の大ファンというわけではないのですが、アガサ・クリスティは好きでよく読んだり観たりしています。彼女の作品に惹かれるのはなぜか、言語化できずにいたのですが、このミュージカルを観て分かったような気がします。私は、登場人物間の関係や、そこから生じる動機(事件でなくともあらゆる言動についての動機やきっかけ)を丁寧に描く作家が好きなのだと思いました。
On 1 August 2026, I saw and heard Agatha at Yomiuri Otemachi Hall in Tokyo.
It was a Korean musical translated into Japanese, inspired by the actual incident when Agatha Christie mysteriously went missing. The musical itself was like a mystery to be solved by the audience, but I rather liked the characterisation of Agatha.
Agatha Christie (as an actual writer, or as a character in the production at least) is more interested in 'why' culprits commit crimes than 'how' they do. Although she wrote many crime fictions with murder, she is pure and wonders why ordinary people become murderers, so she pays close attention to relationships among characters. I like that - I am not a big fan of crime fictions or violent scenes, but I love seeing her plays and reading her novels. I didn't know why, but now I think I like writers (playwrights and novelists, including Christie) who write about relationships among characters carefully and then write interesting scenes and lines based on the relationships.
(ポスターの写真は撮れなかったので、入口の写真ですが…)
