2026年8月25日、Shakespeare's GlobeにてMuch Ado About Nothingを観劇(2時間25分、休憩込み)。グローブ座を訪れるのは約4年振りでしたが、先週の続きくらいの感覚で観劇できました。以下、ネタバレ注意です。
最後の場面まで笑える箇所がたくさんあり、最後の場面のみ不安が残る、そんな演出でした。笑える箇所としては、ベネディックとベアトリスが騙される場面はもちろん、ベアトリスの才気煥発でドン・ペドロが振られる(?)ところや、"Kill Claudio"の台詞でも客席から笑いが出ていました。テンポが良く、楽しい上演だと全体的には思いました。
しかし最後の場面で、ヒアローは納得していないように見えました。濡れ衣が濡れ衣だったと分かったことは良かったですし、ヒアローとクローディオは確かに結ばれるのですが、めでたしめでたしという雰囲気はなく、ベアトリスとベネディックが結ばれるから「まあいいか」と手を取る、というように見えました。パンフレットの表紙には"Let the battle begin"と書かれていて、はじめはベアトリスとベネディックの「陽気なバトル」のことを指しているのだと思いましたが、もしかしたらヒアローとクローディオのぎくしゃくした感じも暗示されているのでは…と今になって思います。
Much Ado About Nothingはイギリスで人気の作品で、私も何度も観たことがありますが、このような終わり方は初めてで新鮮でした。
(Caution: contains a spoiler.)
On 25 September 2026, I saw and heard Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare at Shakespeare's Globe.
It was hilarious until the last scene. The audience laughed a lot, especially when Benedick and Beatrice were tricked, when Don Pedro was rejected by Beatrice (it was not a serious heartbreak though), and even when Beatrice told Benedick to kill Claudio. These scenes and lines had a good flow and I enjoyed.
However, at the end of the play, Hero didn't look happy. It was understandable that she felt in that way as she was treated badly, but I was not sure why then Hero married Claudio with such a feeling in the end. Of course, it was because their belated wedding was written in the text, but still I'm wondering why when seeing Hero's unhappy expression. They seemed they got married just because their beloved couple, Beatrice and Benedick, got together on the day.
I had seen Much Ado About Nothing many times, but this direction was new to me.

