国際児童・青少年演劇フェスティバルおきなわ(りっかりっかフェスタ)に行ってきました。3本の作品を鑑賞し、シンポジウムを聞くこともできました。その感想を書いていきます。
I enjoyed an annual, international theatre festival for children and young people called Ricca Ricca Festa in Okinawa. I saw three performances and attended a symposium.
チップとチョコ/The Puppy Siblings, Chip and Choco
7月27日、テンブスホールにて『チップとチョコ』を観劇(45分、休憩なし)。人形劇団ひぽぽたあむによる人形劇でした。人形は人間の役者とは異なり、物理的に言ってしまえば、無機質な物です。それでも、台詞や場面に合わせて表情が変わって見えました。人形遣いの手や声を通して、人形に命が吹きこまれるからかもしれません。あるいは、観客が想像力で補いながら見るので、生き生きと見えるのかもしれません。見方、見え方、見せ方という三つの視点で興味深いため、人形劇や、人形が登場する作品は(人形と人間が共演する演劇を含めて)面白いと思います。
On 27 July, I saw a puppet show titled The Puppy Siblings, Chip and Choco. Physically speaking, puppets are just materials without emotions unlike human beings. Nevertheless, the puppets in the show looked to have emotions and their facial expressions seemed to change according to lines and scenes. Puppeteers were so skillful that puppets looked as if they were alive. Also, audiences were good at seeing them as lively puppies by supplementing with imagination. Puppet shows are interesting from both perspectives: puppeteers' skills and audiences' imagination.
レオの小さなトランク/LEO
7月27日、テンブスホールにて『レオの小さなトランク』を観劇(60分、休憩なし)。舞台の上手側で一人の役者が演技をし、それが舞台下手側のスクリーンに同時投影されるというものでした。ここで面白いのは、90度回転させた映像が投影されていたことです。これにより、スクリーンで見える世界において、重力が変わります。実際には壁に指をつけているだけなのに、スクリーンの中では指だけで身体を支えている離れ技に見えたり。スクリーンの方で何気ない姿勢に見える時、実際には役者が体幹を使って身体を支えていたり。役者の身体能力と、見せ方に関しては頭の柔らかさと、その両方が見て取れ、目が離せない60分間でした。
On 27 July, I saw a non-verbal performance titled LEO. The actor was physically strong and very clever to change the gravity of the world in a simultaneously projected, 90-degree rotated screen. Just wonderful!
Lights Out
7月29日、沖縄県女性連合会会館にて『Lights Out』を観劇(50分、休憩なし)。ポスターに「光が消えた夜、想像力が灯る」とあった通り、停電の中取り残された3人の見知らぬ若者が、最初は不安を見せますが、次第に時間を共有することを覚えていく、というストーリーでした。そして、それがノンバーバルで行われていました。出会い、最初は警戒し、分かり合うことを知るというのは、子供たちが人間関係を形成する過程と似ています。そして、その過程は言葉を介さなくてもできるのかもしれない、という可能性を見せてもらえたことは、言葉とは何かと考えることの多い私にとって、刺激的なものでした。「分かり合おうとする過程」「言葉は必要か否か」という二つの視点から、国際児童・青少年演劇フェスティバルにぴったりな作品だと思いました。
On 29 July, I saw a non-verbal theatre titled Lights Out. As it was advertised 'When the lights go out, imagination catches fire', the story was like this - in a blackout, there are three young people who don't know each other. They are anxious and nervous at first, but they try to understand each other and gradually learn to share their feelings and spend time together - without words. This process is similar to how children encounter new people and learn to sympathise (in my opinion, even if they can't sympathise, they try to understand differences and sometimes find solutions). If we can experience this process without words, that's more ideal, pure and peaceful than positive discussions or negative quarrels. Of course, languages are necessary in our daily lives, but I found this non-verbal theatre interesting in that it showed the process of encountering and understanding others nonverbally.
平和と共生を紡ぐシンポジウム/Symposium
今回の演劇祭では、上演を観るだけでなく、シンポジウムを聞く機会もありました。その中で、平和の定義が繰り返されていました。「平和とは、戦争のない世界だけを指すのではなく、文化の違いを知ったり、お互いを理解しようとしたりできる、交流や共生のこと」とのことでした。私はその言葉にハッとしました。というのは、演劇や舞台芸術は文化交流に効果的だろうなと直感的に思っていながらも、その理由を言語化できず、演劇で戦争を止められるわけでもないし…と思っていたからです。シンポジウムで様々な立場の人たちの発言を聞いて思ったのは、確かに演劇で戦争を止めることはできなくても、お互いの違いに歩み寄れる大人(になっていく子供や若い世代)を育てる平和教育として、演劇や舞台芸術は価値があるということです。
I also attended a symposium titled 'A Symposium on Weaving Peace and Coexistence'. During the symposium, a definition of 'peace' was repeated. It is not only about the world without wars but also a state in which people recognise differences and try to understand others. The definition encouraged me, for I was in a dilemma - I knew theatre was effective for cultural exchanges and thus educationally good (by instinct), but I couldn't say why, and I didn't think that theatre itself could stop wars. Through the symposium, now I believe children and young people can learn to think about others and collaborate by seeing or making theatre performances together. This is a step for a peaceful world.
上演もシンポジウムも、来て良かったと思える演劇祭でしたが、その会場が沖縄だったということも大きいです。沖縄は激戦を経験した土地というだけでなく、地理的に東南アジア諸国との交流が盛んな地域でした。平和教育と文化交流という二つの側面から、この演劇祭の舞台に相応しいと思いました。また行きたいです!
I was glad to see three performances and attend a symposium in this festival, especially in Okinawa. Okinawa is a place that experienced tragic battles. Also, as Okinawa is located in the very south-western part of Japan, it is called as 'an entrance to other Asian countries', leading to rich cultural exchanges historically. Then, the festival in Okinawa is meaningful in thinking about peace and in making cultural exchanges. I hope to come and join again!