2026年8月28日、ストラットフォード・アポン・エイヴォンのThe Other PlaceにてA Midsummer Night's Dreamを観劇(90分、休憩なし)。ロンドンのユニコーン・シアターとの共作ということもあり、子供や若者にもアクセシブルな上演でした。ここで「アクセシブルな」と書いたのは、二つの視点からそう思ったためです。
一つは、上演時間が90分で、疲れることなく見られたという点です。それでも、大きくカットされた場面は思い当たらず、満足感を得られる上演でした。実のところ、できるなら上演台本を手に入れて他の版と照らし合わせてみないとカット箇所が分からないくらい、自然な流れでした。子供や若者の集中力を考えても、内容の深さからしても、ちょうど良い上演だと思いました。
もう一つは、登場人物の名前と発せられる台詞が映像のように映し出されていたことです。舞台セットの背景には、色が薄く平らな部分があったのですが、タイミング良く、キャラクターに似合うフォントの文字が踊るように映し出されていたので、単なる字幕というよりは演出の一部のように見えました。これは幼い観客にも伝わりやすいというだけでなく、デジタルの作品に慣れている現代の観客にやさしいものだと思ったので、年齢というよりは世代の話かもしれません。それでも役者たちは身体を駆使して演じていたので、生の演劇としての魅力も感じ取れる、面白い上演でした。
On 28 August 2026, I saw and heard A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare at The Other Place in Stratford-upon-Avon.
As it was a co-production with the Unicorn Theatre, I thought it was an accessible version for children and young audiences. The word 'accessible' has many meanings, but I say so here based on two ideas below.
First, it was a 90-minute-long performance, so I didn't get tired or bored. Nevertheless, I felt as if it was almost a full version. Technically speaking, it was not so because A Midsummer Night's Dream is usually 120- or 150-minute-long or so, but I couldn't find which lines they cut (I wish I could have its playscript...). It was such a smooth, abridged version. As for its running time, it was children-friendly, but still, the essence of the play and attractive lines remained. In this sense, I found the production suitable for children's first encounter with Shakespeare.
Next, characters' name and their lines were projected on the wall on the stage. It was easy to follow for children and also those who have difficulties with hearing. The projected words looked like a part of the production's direction instead of practical subtitles. I thought the direction was good when considering the target audiences' generation, rather than their age, as today's children and young people are familiar with digital contents.
