2026年7月22日、サンシャイン劇場にてミュージカル『無伴奏ソナタ』を観劇(2時間45分、休憩込み)。2024年のミュージカル版初演を観て以来、再演を待ち望んでいた作品だったので、今回観劇できて嬉しかったです。
ミュージカル版初演の時には、当時の記事に書いたように、役と役者の関係が興味深いと思っていました。それは今回も感じたのですが、2年経った今の感想としては、芸術とは何だろう?人生とは何だろう?といった、より深いところが頭に浮かんでくる上演でした。この2年で世の中が変わったから、カンパニーのメンバーが上演をパワーアップさせたから…と色々な要因があると思いますが、私自身この2年で環境が変わったので、注目ポイントも変わったのかもしれない、と思います。
芸術について
原作がSF小説ということもあり、設定が特殊なのですが、この作品の世界においては、全国民の職業が幼児期のテストで決定されることになっています。主人公のクリスチャンは、作曲家(作中では「メイカー」と呼ばれていました)として生きることが決められます。音楽にかかわる職業は他にもありますが、この「メイカー」は人類の宝のように扱われていて、クリスチャンは親元から引き離され、政府の施設で暮らし、厳しい監視の中、作曲に励む…という生き方をします。ここで「厳しい」と書いたのは、多くの禁止事項が含まれているからです。その中でも、私の心に引っ掛かったのは、メイカーは既成の音楽を耳にしてはならない(周りの人物も、他の人が作曲した音楽を聞かせたり、既にある音楽や楽器に関する情報をメイカーに与えてはならない)という法律でした。クリスチャンは、それが当然と思って30年ほど生きてきたので抵抗する様子もないのですが、現実世界の観客にとっては首を傾げたくなる話です。この法律を持ち出す側の言い分としては「真の芸術はゼロから生まれる」とのことです。これに反対する登場人物もちゃんといて、その人は「芸術は皆模倣から生まれる」と言っていました。自分の立場を問われれば、私も後者の側ですが、どちらが正しいという話以前に「ゼロからvs模倣から」という構図を見て取れたことが面白かったです。一応、私も院生・研究者としてやってきたので、この2年で見方が変わったのかな。
人生について
そのように生きてきたクリスチャンですが、行き詰った時、法律を破ってしまいます。彼のスランプに付け込んだのか、既成の音楽が入ったレコーダーを渡してきた人物がいて、クリスチャンはそれを聞いてしまうのです。その違反が知られ、クリスチャンはメイカーとしての職を失います。さらに、今後曲を作ることも、演奏することも、歌うことも禁じられてしまいます(そこまでしなくても…と思いますが、まあ原作がSF小説なので、細かいところには目を瞑ります)。転職と引っ越しをした先で、クリスチャンはピアノを見て、最初は距離を置こうとしますが、やっぱり弾きたくなり、弾いてしまいます。そしてまた罰せられます。次の転職先でも、歌が好きな仲間たちのおかげで(「せいで」とは言いたくないほど楽しそうに)、やっぱり歌ってしまいます。そしてまた、さらに重い罰を受けます。あらすじだけ見ると、次第に音楽を憎んでしまいそうな人生です。でも舞台上のクリスチャンは、ピアノを弾いたり歌ったりする時とても楽しそうでした。罰せられる時でさえ、少し笑顔で「ごめんなさい、でもやっぱりやめられなくて…」と、自分でもどうしようもない感じを見せていました。そもそも、罰を受ける前の場面でさえ、政府の監視下にあるにもかかわらず、楽しそうに演奏しながら曲を作っていたのです。本当に音楽が好きなのだなと思い、それこそ才能なのではと思いました。クリスチャンは幼児期のテストで、聴力や音感といった数値で測れるもので評価され、メイカーに決められます。それも確かに才能なのですが、音楽のせいで罰を受けても音楽から離れられない、ということこそ才能・天職と言える気がします。そうやって生きてきたクリスチャンは、罰はつらかったにしても、人生を引きで見たら幸せと言えるのだろう、と思いました。
そのような、深くて壮大な物語というだけでも泣けるのに、曲もまた良かったので、涙腺崩壊のミュージカルでした。
(Caution: contains a spoiler.)
On 22 August 2026, I saw and heard Unaccompanied Sonata at Sunshine Theatre in Tokyo. It was a musical based on a sci-fi novel by Orson Scott Card. I saw the production in 2024, and I was glad to see it again.
When I saw it two years ago, I was interested in a strategy of its casting, as I wrote in the post at that time. This time, in addition to that point, the impressive thing was their way of suggesting what art is and what life is.
(1) About art: In its sci-fi world, every citizen is decided his or her profession by aptitude tests which everyone must take at the age of two. The protagonist, Christian, is given the profession of composer, which is called "Maker" in the production. Among many music-related jobs, "Maker" is said to be special, so he is taken from his parents, lives a government-run facility, and commits himself to composing there. As "Maker" is cherished, there are strict laws to them. For example, they must not hear music by other composers, and people around them must not give information about other music or instruments to them. What strange laws they are! (But I say so as a normal person in the real world.) In this story, policy makers believe that authentic arts come from nothing, occur naturally, or spontaneously. On the other hand, other characters believe that artistic works come from imitation. Personally, I agree with the latter, but the interesting point is that the two conflicting opinions are shown on stage at the same time.
(2) About life: Christian follows such laws, but he breaks one of them one day. A man hands him a recording device with a song by Bach and he listens to it, after hesitation though. It is revealed by the government, and he is expelled from the facility. What is more, he is no longer a "Maker" and he is prohibited any activity about music, such as composing, playing instrument, and singing. After moving to a new city and having a new job, he finds a piano at a local diner. He hesitates for about a week, but finally he plays it. Then he is punished again. In the following job, he gets good friends, but they love singing. He politely refuses to sing with them at first, but finally he sings. Then he is punished again, with heavier punishment this time. If I were him, I would gradually hate music after several punishments. But in his case, he still loves music. I think the enthusiasm for music is the talent. He is judged as a talented musician by the aptitude test, but in addition to such measured ability, I admire his enthusiasm and persistency. Then, I find his life happy, even though punishments are harsh things.
I loved such a deep story about art and life. Plus, the music used in the musical was really great!
(撮影OKの時間に撮りました。開演前の様子です。)
