2026年8月26日、Adelphi TheatreにてThe Comedy About Spiesを観劇(2時間35分、休憩込み)。2022年に観劇したThe Play That Goes Wrongが好きで、同じカンパニーによる上演ということで今回観ようと思いました。予想通り、そして期待以上に面白かったです!
タイトルにあるように、スパイについてのコメディーでした。こんなに笑えるスパイものは初めてでした。はじめは驚きましたが、観劇後に気付いたのは、スパイものとコメディーは相性が良いのではということです。スパイはしばしば正体を偽ります。それにより人違いや勘違いも起こりやすくなるので、時には話が噛み合わなかったりして、演劇的に面白いのです。喜劇に振り切ろうと思えば、例えば『間違いの喜劇』のようにすれ違いだらけのプロットにすることも可能だと思いました。もちろん、アイデンティティーを偽る本人は「自分は一体何者なのか」と葛藤することもあるので、そこにフォーカスすればシリアスな芝居にもなります。真面目な作品と笑える喜劇は、スパイの話においては、実は紙一重なのではと思いました。
そのような発見があったので、この感想は真面目風に書いていますが、観劇中は笑いっぱなしでした!
On 26 August 2026, I saw and heard The Comedy About Spies at by Mischief at Adelphi Theatre. I liked The Play That Goes Wrong (2022), and I found out that the company is performing The Comedy About Spies this year, so I was thrilled to see this play in London. Indeed, it was hilarious as (or more than) I had expected!
There are many serious plays and films about spies, but I had never seen a comedy about them, so I was surprised at its funny scenes at first. But now I think that spy stories can go well with comedies. This is because spies often conceal or disguise their identities. Then there are sometimes misunderstandings between characters, which makes the audience laugh. To me, such interesting aspect is similar to that of The Comedy of Errors by Shakespeare (its characters are not spies, though). That being said, it is also true that spies get confused by, are worried about or suffer from the balance between their true identities and false ones, which makes a play more serious. In this sense, comedies and serious plays are actually close through the perspectives of spy characters.
Well, I wrote this post in a serious tone, but I laughed a lot without thinking during the play!

